Saturday, June 14, 2008

Origins


It started one day around ten years ago with a visit to my favorite place in the world - my local bookstore. I came across a book which intrigued me just from reading the dust jacket.

That book was called "Lines and Shadows" written by Joseph Wambaugh . This was a best seller about the exploits of The Border Crime Task Force. At that time I had only been familiar with the film, "The Onion Field," which was based on Mr. Wambaugh's book by the same title. I thought the film was very powerful and I especially remembered the great performance of James Woods in that film.

I think I read "Lines and Shadows" in just a couple of days and ever since this amazing story has been etched in my brain. I always felt the story needed to be told visually through a documentary or film.

I related to the story in many ways. I had many family members come across the border during that same time period (1976) and thankfully none of them fell victim to some of the horrible crimes.

I am very excited that we have finally started production on a documentary based on these events. I can't thank all the guys of The Border Crime Task Force enough for their generosity in talking to me and getting their story told. A special thanks to Mr. Wambaugh for bringing this incredible story to light.

- Robert

No comments: